Unfortunately, the time may come when someone close to you can no longer make their own decisions, perhaps due to old age or illness. Ideally, we would like to speak with clients when they do have capacity, and to encourage them to appoint an Attorney to act for them at such time.

How we can help you

If someone has lost capacity to make decisions, it's not possible to sign a Power of Attorney. Alternatively, you may be caring for a child with a learning disability, or other condition which affects their capacity, who is approaching the age of 16 and it is necessary to apply for a Guardianship order in order to have legal authority make decisions on behalf of the young adult.

If someone doesn’t have a Power of Attorney, banks and other organisations (like care homes) won't let their loved ones deal with their affairs for them, and this can cause practical and financial problems. While the law provides solutions, the procedures involved can be daunting, especially at a time when you may already feel distressed. Our expert advice will help you make sure your loved one's affairs (both personal and financial) are properly dealt with - and relieve some of the pressure on you, too.

The whole team is very friendly, easy to deal with and helpful in explaining legal complexities in layman’s terms, says a client, adding: The firm had my best interests at heart throughout and cared about achieving the best possible result for me.

Chambers and Partners

Excellent all-round team, with no weak links.

Chambers and Partners

Make an Enquiry

From our offices we serve the whole of Scotland, as well as clients around the world with interests in Scotland. Please complete the form below, and a member of our team will be in touch shortly.

Morton Fraser MacRoberts LLP will use the information you provide to contact you about your inquiry. The information is confidential. For more information on our privacy practices please see our Privacy Notice